Sunday, September 8, 2013

Tzatziki

Tzatziki

For anyone who has tried tzatziki and wanted to make it at home, you should know that it is very simple.  There are several different variations out there, but this is the version I have been making for many years now.  It was based off a recipe from Greece that a friend gave me long ago.  It is great as a dressing on salad or just with warmed up pita bread.  It is nice and refreshing on a hot day.

Tzatziki
greek yogurt (1-2 cups)
cucumber - seedless is preferable, but not necessary
dill
garlic
salt and pepper

This is the basic recipe I use.  I did not include amounts because it depends on what you get for ingredients.  The thicker the yogurt, the more cucumber I add. (The cucumber should be shredded.  I use a box grater.  You can use the size you like, but I like the thicker pieces in mine.) I stir until I get the consistency that I like.  Dill - buy fresh and it will add such a refreshing flavor to the yogurt. I usually finely chop or press if I am being lazy 2-3 cloves of garlic, but add as much or as little as you like.  Add salt and pepper to taste once everything else has been added.

No comments: