Saturday, August 9, 2014

Broiled Cod with Tarragon Mayo

This is another very simple recipe from the book Keepers.  My husband and I were trying out some fish recipes to eat during the winter months.  In mild weather, we both prefer to grill fish, but I wanted to switch it up to find a recipe that would work with different types of fish and be a winner every time.  Unfortunately, I am not much a fan of broiled cod fish as that was the fish I used in this recipe.  However, the broiling technique was wonderful as well as the tarragon mayo.  I have seldom used tarragon, but as I planted in my yard this year, I hope to have more experiments with tarragon next summer when it is big enough to use and not kill the plant.

Broiled Cod with Tarragon Mayo
1/4 cup mayonnaise (either self made or I like Hellman's)
3 teaspoons whole grain mustard (also great to use your own homemade mustard)
2 springs of tarragon, leaves removed and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
1 pound cod fillet
olive oil
Lemon for serving

Preheat the broiler with the rack about 5 inches away from the broiler.  Place a cast iron pan on the rack to heat as the oven is heating.  Heat until very hot (5 minutes in an already warm oven or as the oven heats).  In the meantime, mix together mayonnaise, mustard, tarragon and garlic.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Lightly coat the cod in the olive oil, season with salt and pepper.  Cover the up facing side with the mayo mixture.  Transfer the mayo-covered fish to the hot cast iron skillet.  Broil until the fish is just cooked throughout and the mayo mixture is a light brown.  Remove from oven and serve with lemon wedges.  I added a spinach salad to have some greens with the fish and make it a lighter meal. 

No comments: