Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sauteed Chicken with Tomato Pan Sauce

Since I could cook, I have been pan frying chicken.  The most basic one I ever did was frozen chicken breast pan fried with a little oil or butter...just enough so it wouldn't stick and then fried until there was a delicious pan sauce.  Since I have learned a bit more since then I have discovered that this is a great way to cook to make an even better sauce to serve with the chicken, but I use more than just chicken to achieve it.  I am particular to adding wine to get all those good cooked on bits up and keep their flavor for the sauce.


This recipe is yet another based on one from the book Keepers by Kathy Brennan and Caroline Campion.  I have made quite a few things from their book, but I want to try even more.  As I have mentioned before, they are great meals to cook during the week as they come together quickly and most don't have a ton of ingredients.  I love a quick meal which tastes great too, which is my ideal during the week.

Sauteed Chicken with Tomato Pan Sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 -1 1/2 pound chicken breast cut into portions or smaller pieces (as you like)
salt and pepper
1 sweet onion, chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 pint cherry tomatoes (I used cherub sunsweet tomatoes)
1 1/2 teaspoons chives, chopped (or fresh basil, oregano, thyme)




In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the unsalted butter over medium high heat.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Once the butter has melted, add the chicken until it is golden brown (depending on thickness about 4-5 minutes).  Turn the chicken over, reduce heat to medium and cover the pan until the chicken is cooked through (again depending on thickness about 5-7 minutes).  Remove the chicken to a plate and cover while you make the pan sauce.

Pour off all, but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the chicken and return the heat to medium.  Add the onion and cook until fragrant.  Add the wine and scrape any caramelized bits from the bottom of the pan.  Add the diced tomatoes.  Once heated through, remove from heat and add the chives (or fresh chopped basil, oregano, thyme) and the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.  Check seasonings and add salt or pepper if needed.  Serve the chicken with the pan sauce over it.

No comments: