Monday, January 19, 2015

Butternut Squash soup with meatballs

This was one among many recipes I decided to focus on in my new Scandinavian Cooking.  I had previously posted that I wanted to try to cook as many recipes from this book as possible, but I would like to amend that goal.  Since I received several new cookbooks for Christmas and would like to cook from all of them, I am going to pick a new cookbook each month on which to focus my energy to ensure I give them a good test and not just a couple of recipes.  Since my cookbook collection is quite extensive this will be a good way to get to know more of them and keep the variety in which I love to cook.  Since I know many of my cookbooks well, I can usually name the book that has the ideas, flavors or guidelines (aka recipes) that I want to create or use as a basis for something else.


This recipe does come from Scandinavian Cooking which I will continue to focus on through the month, but I look forward to cracking into some of the other cookbooks that I have on my shelf for the flavors that I have been craving.  Recently, I have been loving squashes which I never really liked as a child.  This is just one of many recipes I have been making with them.  This one throws in meatballs which I like as something different than just a vegetable soup, which I love as well.

Squash Soup with Meatballs
1 butternut squash (on the small to medium side), peeled and cut into chunks
1 onion (yellow), diced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 parsnip
1 can coconut milk (14 oz.)
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 lemon (juiced)

Meatballs
1 pound ground lamb
4 oz. neufchatel cheese
2 teaspoons green curry paste
1 teaspoon salt

Put a soup pot on high with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.  Quickly fry the pumpkin, onion, garlic and parsnip.  Once quickly fried, add the coconut milk, about 2.5 cups of water, and salt (1 teaspoon).  Turn the heat down and simmer until the vegetables are soft.  Mix the soup with an immersion stick blender.  Season with the pepper and lemon juice.  Mix the meatball ingredients together.  Shape into meatballs and add them to the soup.  Simmer until down, which should be about 10 minutes, but will vary depending on the size of the meatballs.  Serve hot.  I also love to eat with fresh crusty sourdough, but any crusty bread will do.  Makes about 4 servings.



No comments: