Thursday, May 28, 2015

Coconut Lime Rice with Beans and Mango

I am always looking for a new an interesting cookbook.  The latest that I have come across is Thug Kitchen.  I can't say I have ever read a cookbook which has swearing in it, so because I was curious as it had gotten so many good reviews on Amazon, I borrowed it from the library to check out.  Most recipes are pretty simple and the couple that I tried were very flavorful.  The combination of flavors as well was interesting and unusual, so I wasn't sure I would enjoy them.  I am also not very good with sweet and savory flavors combined in one dish, but for this one it worked out.  I didn't think the mango flavor was very strong, so it didn't bother me like it does so often.  The star flavoring of this dish is definitely the lime.  I am always surprised that zest can add so much flavor as it does in this dish.  This is meant to be a side which will serve 4-6 people, but I find it can serve much more than that.


Coconut Lime Rice with Beans and Mango
1 1/2 cups short grain rice
2 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 cup diced onions
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 mango, cut into cubes
2 cans red beans (15 oz. cans), rinsed
grated zest and juice of 1 lime



Rinse rice under cold water.  Heat the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.  Add the onions and saute until they start to brown in some spots, about 3 minutes.  Add the ginger and saute for a further 30 seconds until aromatic.  Add the rice and keep stirring until the rice is slightly toasted.  Add the coconut milk, stock, salt and cayenne pepper.  Bring to a simmer, then turn down heat to low (but not too low as it need to continue to simmer).  It should simmer for about 35 minutes or until the rice is tender.  If you run out of liquid before the rice is done, just add more vegetable stock.

While the rice is cooking, chop up the mango into cubes.  When the rice is done, fold in the beans, lime zest and mango.  Let it cook together for another few minutes until hot throughout.  Serve as a side.

No comments: