Sunday, January 16, 2011

What is in a pound cake?

Old-Fashioned Pound Cake (from Starbucks)

This is a recipe which I stumbled across in a random (by random I mean free) cookbook from Costco.  As I was looking through the cookbook, I realized they were all based around ingredients from Costco.  At any rate, the few things I have tried at Starbucks have been great tasting, so I modified this recipe to fit what I wanted from the pound cake.

Since I live at high altitude I have had to make a few changes to get things to rise the way they should.  I can humbly say that the changes I made to this recipe (some are noted in the recipe) worked very well and the cake rose as I had hoped!  But it also didn't fall!

So what makes a pound cake a pound cake?  Just have a look at the ingredients in the recipe.  There is a whole pound of butter in this cake!  As it is baking, the sweet smells will fill your house with goodness!

Recipe:
4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (though I used more like 1 1/4 teaspoons due to altitude)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
(I added a dash of nutmeg)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups (4 sticks) butter, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
7 large eggs (due to altitude I used 8)
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease a 10 inch tube pan or a 12 cup fluted tube pan.  In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until well blended; set aside.   Beat butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Also add the almond extract.  Add the flour mixture mixture alternatively with the coffee, beating until well blended after each addition.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake for 90 minutes (though mine ended up at about 82 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.  Let cool for 10 minutes.  Loose the cake from the sides and gently remove from the pan.  Let cool completely on a wire rack.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Makes 20 servings.

No comments: