Sunday, January 2, 2011

Souper soup

I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but I love soup. It can be regular old chicken soup with vegetables or even a good brand of canned soup like Amy's. I have found some very good quality soup in cans. Soup to me does not mean Campbell's...I always found it too salty and thin. I like a good thick soup which will fill your with a variety of flavors and tastes all in one bowl.
It's a New Year and although not that cold out, I thought it would be a good day to start the new year off with soup. This soup is one I make fairly often. I basically look into the refrigerator and the cupboard and see what I can throw together to make into a particular lovely tasting soup.
 I had some homemade turkey stock that I had made after Thanksgiving which I had been slowly using up.  I thought this would be the perfect base for a full flavored broth.  I added some onions which were leftover from our delicious omelets my boyfriend made for breakfast.  Once this was a rolling bowl, I added a few potatoes, black beans, diced tomatoes (though I can't remember if they had spice or chilies in them or not), corn and whatever spices I thought would add a good flavor.  This time I choose some fresh basil, espazote, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.  I can't remember if I added anything else!
Of course!  I also had leftover turkey that I added as well to persuade my boyfriend to try it as he is sometimes adverse to too many things without meat.  :)  After simmering for about 30-40 minutes the flavors had melded well and it was ready for eating.  Enjoy!

My New Year's Resolution is not to buy more cookbooks without at least cooking one thing from each one.  At least then I will be able to experiment more and continue to add variety to our meals.

No comments: