Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chicken Biryani American Style

Yet another cookbook with delicious recipes...this one came from Pam Anderson, Perfect One-Dish Dinners.  The recipe I based it on was Chicken Biryani American Style, though like most of my cooking I modified as I went along.

The recipe called this dish distinctly spicy, which I have to disagree with as I tend to like things spicier.  Next time I make this I will definitely make it spicier by  adding more red pepper flakes or add some other chile for more spice.  I would also recommend not adding the cashews as they do not reheat well and are rather chewy.  It is much simpler to add what you would like to each portion.

Serves3-4
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch chunks
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon grated gingerroot
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon curry
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 cup basmati rice
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 roasted cashews

Generously sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; set aside.  Heat half the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add half of the onion, ginger and pepper flakes and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder and continue to cook until fragrant, about 1 more minute.  Add chicken and stirring constantly and until it looses its raw color.  Add yogurt and lime juice and cook until juice thicken slightly.  Transfer chicken mixture to bowl.  Wipe out pan and return to heat.

Heat other half of the butter, remaining onion and cook, stirring until soft (about 5 minutes).  Stir in rice and saffron.  Then stir in coconut milk, 1/2 of the chicken broth and a little salt.  Cover and bring to a simmer, about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Heat oven to 375F and pour about 1/3 of the chicken mixture into a medium bowl.  Spread remaining rice evening over the bottom of the skillet.  Pour chicken and juices over rice in skillet and then top with remaining rice.  Pour second half of chicken broth over rice and cover the pan with foil.  Bake until heated through and rice starts to crust around the edges, about 30 minutes.  Remove from over, sprinkle with cashews and serve.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you use for the curry ingredient? Paste or powder?

Thanks,
Samantha

Anonymous said...

PS...looks wonderful. YUM!

Unknown said...

I usually always use yellow curry powder, which I used for this. However, I tend to use red curry paste. :)

Anonymous said...

I usually use yellow curry paste...do you think that would work? Thanks so much for your speedy response!!

Unknown said...

I think you could, but the flavor will be a little different given the different spice combination in each one. I like to experiment so I would give it a try, but start with less and add more until you think it tastes right. It is a mild flavor in this dish so I think you will be ok.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!