Monday, March 7, 2011

Long Pause - Salad without lettuce

After a month of random friends and family staying, eating and socializing, I am back to my blog.  First up really should be the most wonderful recent salad that I threw together this weekend when I was craving fresh vegetables.  I really can't wait until summer comes with all the great fresh ingredients.  In the meantime, I looked to see what I could find that would satisfy such a salad craving.  When I questioned my boyfriend if he wanted to join me in salad eating, he informed me that it wasn't a salad if it didn't have lettuce in it.  While I disagree with him, I explained what I was making and he whole-heartedly ate it with me.  This is a twist on the classic caprese salad since I wanted to balance the colors with the fresh veggies in my refrigerator.





Twisted Caprese Salad
 Since I didn't have large slices of tomatoes, I cut everything into the same sized pieces.  So I chopped the tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese and cucumber into bit-sized pieces.  I chopped fresh basil for the top and added a touch of salt and pepper.  Then a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil later, this salad was ready for the eating. 

No comments: