Friday, August 16, 2013

Chilaquiles

Chilaquiles

Six months ago if you had asked me what chilaquiles were, I would have given you a blank stare.  Sometime this spring I was talking to someone, they mentioned chilaquiles.  Since I love many different types of food, but Mexican food in particular, I was interested.  There are many different ways to make chilaquiles, so this will be just one version of what you could come up with depending on what you want to add to this breakfast dish.

This version is a twist from heart of the artichoke by David Tanis.  Ironically, I have owned this book for a little more than a year, but I don't recall reading about the chilaquiles.  At any rate when I unpacked some of my stored cookbooks, I was happy to come across this book for inspiration.  I find David Tanis' voice an interesting read.  Not only are the recipes well thought out, but they are more on the simplistic side of things.  This does not mean they are not time consuming, but taken in steps the dishes are easy to put together and have a wonderful cacophony of flavors.

This version of chilaquiles is quick to prepare, but remember to have your mise en place completed before starting or you will be scrambling since it cooks quickly.

Chilaquiles
Serves 1

Corn tortillas
olive oil
cilantro or parsley
scallions
chiles
salsa
1 egg beaten
salt
pepper


Cut two tortillas into smaller pieces.  Heat a skillet with a little olive oil and fry the tortillas until crisp.  Add the chopped parsley or cilantro, scallions, chiles and salsa.  Add the beaten egg.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  You are ready to eat as soon as the egg is cooked to your liking.  This is very aromatic and will make you eager to dig in!  Note: if you double the recipe, be sure that your tortillas are crisp and the eggs don't make them soggy.

No comments: