Friday, August 23, 2013

Tea Smoked Chicken

This is another recipe based on David Tanis' heart of the artichoke.  The smoking of the chicken was a rather unusual concept to me, but as I worked my way through this recipe, I kept coming back to smell the ingredients used to smoke the chicken.  Days later my garbage still smelled great....not that I would recommend smelling your garbage after using chicken, but I usually dispose of anything that will rot immediately.   I am working on making a compost which the ingredients to smoke the chicken would be a welcome addition.


I highly recommend this tea smoked chicken.  I am going to continue to experiment with this recipe and try other pieces other than bone-in chicken legs.  Though I think any part with skin would work well in this recipe.  You do need a close pan like a roaster with a lid to properly smoke the chicken else all the smoke will leave and not absorb into the chicken.

Tea Smoked Chicken Legs
1/2 cup tea leaves (I used a black tea blend)
1/2 cup rice (I used brown rice as that was what was in my cupboard)
 1/2 brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon star anise
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon whole cloves, though I used some powdered as well
6 cooked chicken legs

Precook the chicken in broth with ginger, garlic and scallions.  This will take about an hour of simmering.  Line bottom of your container with aluminum foil.  Place all ingredients (minus the chicken legs on the aluminum foil.  Place a roasting rack over the spices and place chicken on the roasting rack.  Put the lid on.  Preheat oven to 400F.  Put the roasting pan on the stove over high heat.  At this point you cannot open the container or else you will loose your smoke.  Leave on high heat for about 2-3 minutes.  You should hear the spices (sugar) crackling and you should smell the spices begin to smoke.  Turn off heat and put in oven for 10-15 minutes.  It is suggested you open the pan outside to release smoke, or near an open window so as not to set off the smoke alarms.  These chicken legs are great cold as well.  Serve with a salad and additional veggies for a full meal.

No comments: