Monday, February 10, 2014

Green Curry with Shrimp

I had never eaten, nor heard of curry until I was a high school exchange student to New Zealand.  Several people talked about curry, but I didn't have any idea what I was in for the first time I tried it.  I am pretty sure the first one I tried was a yellow curry, but to be honest it didn't leave an impression in my mind until much later.  Then I remember my first job out of college.  A coworker and I would go out to eat for Indian food as there was a restaurant not too far from work.  I tried all sorts of different dishes, but again only had yellow curry.  It wasn't until much later, when I was living in Germany, that I began to eat curries on a regular basis.  I think it may have been there that I tried red and green curry for the first time.  At least there it was memorable, but I never had the inclination to try to make it.  The local curry place was cheap and delicious, so why would I bother to try it out?


So with the memory of these two really good curries in my brain, I searched for a good curry near where I live.  There are a few that are decent, but I never realized how easy it is to make at home.  This autumn I stumbled upon the cookbook Keepers.  I read reviews and changed my mind about buying it, but finally around Christmas when I was experimenting with quicker dinners to prepare on weeknights, I decided to buy it.  It is by Kathy Brennan and Caroline Campion.  This Green Curry recipe is based off the one in their cookbook.  If you like curry at all, I would give this recipe a shot as it is a quick weeknight meal, reheats well and tastes great.



Green Curry
Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons green curry paste
1 teaspoon anchovy paste
1 (13 oz) can coconut milk
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 red pepper, diced
2 scallions, sliced
1 lime

Steamed rice (prepared, or at least started to cook before beginning the curry)

In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.  Add the curry paste and anchovy paste, cook until fragrant.  Add the coconut milk and brown sugar.  Stir to combine.  Bring to a simmer and stir occasionally until the sauce starts to thicken.  Add the red pepper and bring to a simmer.  Add the shrimp and simmer until shrimp are nearly cooked.  (Do not over cook the shrimp.)  Stir in the scallions and a squeeze of lime juice.  Recheck the seasonings.  Serve with the steamed rice.

I have plans to add more vegetables to this curry as well like zucchini, and sugar snap peas.  This also reheats well.

No comments: