Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Quick Beef Stroganoff

I can't remember eating beef stroganoff when I was growing up.  I remember other friends talking about it, and I know they had it in the school cafeteria.  I never heard anything very good about, so I was never inclined to make it.  Enter my husband...he doesn't cook very much, but this is one dish that he has always made.  When I saw the recipe in Keepers, I decided I should try my hand at it.  At the very least it wouldn't take up a long time to make, which is why I like this book so much.  I usually start by reading through the recipe which is what I did here.  Then I asked my husband about his ingredients to compare the two recipes.  I gathered the ingredients and started.  I like the mustard that is the Keepers recipe, which is a more traditional way of making stroganoff.  I also added some red wine to the sauce to add some flavor.  In the end, my husband liked the new recipe.  The mustard added some kick which ketchup does not.  Overall, I think this recipe will be made again to continue to refine it to our tastes.



Beef Stroganoff
Serves about 4

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound beef tenderloin, though I use thin cut beef as well (cut thinly), season with salt and pepper
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 red onion, chopped finely
1/4 cup red wine
8 ounces crimini mushrooms, cut into thin slices
2 teaspoon sharp mustard
1 1/2 cups beef stock
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons corn starch dissolved in about 1/4 cup water
1 package egg noodles (bring a pot of water to boil so the noodles will be done when the sauce is)

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until it shimmers (medium high heat).  Add the sliced seasoned beef to the skillet and stir as it cooks.  This should just take a couple of minutes.  Remove beef and set aside.  Reduce heat to medium.  Add the butter.  Once melted add the onions and cook until softened (depends on the size of your slices).  Turn the heat back to medium high and add the mushrooms.  Season with salt and pepper.  Once the mushrooms have browned, add the mustard, beef stock and red wine.  Simmer for 2-3 minutes.  Then add the corn starch.  Continue to simmer until the sauce has thickened.  Add the beef and any juices and simmer just another minute or two to heat through.  Turn off the heat and add the sour cream (be sure that it is not bubbling or else the sour cream will curdle if it is too hot).  Check the seasonings and serve over egg noodles

No comments: