Saturday, August 22, 2015

Sugar Cookie Rollouts

This is the best recipe for sugar cookies I have found.  It is the one my grandma, aunt and mom all use when they bake rollouts.  Here are some photos. I have a ton of different cookie cutters, so I make these cookies throughout the year.  Not only is the dough just wonderful to eat by itself, but they almond and vanilla flavors shine once baked.  Plus, you can use whatever frosting you like best or even better make your own.  When I am being lazy I used store bought cream cheese flavored as it compliments the almond flavor well.



Sugar Cookie Rollouts
1  1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
2  1/2 cups flour
1/2  teaspoon baking soda



1 teaspoon cream of tartar (sometimes I omit this if I don't have any)
granulated sugar

Beat powdered sugar and butter until creamed.  Stir in vanilla, almond and egg.  Stir in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar (if using).  Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (until firm).  (Sometimes I leave it overnight.)

Heat oven to 375 F.  Roll half the dough at a time.  You want it about 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured counter.  Cut into shapes.  Place about 2 inches apart on a ungreased cookie sheet.  Sprinkle with sugar or wait until baked and cooled to frost.  Bake for 7-8 minutes or until just turning light brown.  Remove from the cookie sheet to a wire rack until cooled.




No comments: