Sunday, September 11, 2011

Soba Noodles


Sometimes I just buy a cookbook because someone told me it was a good one to buy.  Sometimes I get them from the library to be sure I would like to cook from it before I actually buy it.  I don't think I would regret buying one even if I never cooked from it, but in the past few months I have been trying to cook my way through the books I have not cooked from, which is why you have seen more of a variety of different recipes.  I like to read cookbooks for fun, but some like Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty makes me feel like I am eating my way through the cookbook.  This recipe for Soba Noodles is based on his in Plenty, but oh how I would love to eat in his restaurant to taste the food from this marvelous cook.

This dish is refreshing to eat when it is hot outside as the cucumber just adds that coolness to the food that doesn't make you feel too full when you eat it.  Besides, it just looks great to eat!



Soba Noodles
2 large cucumbers
2 teaspoons salt
300 g soba noodles
70 grams toasted sesame seeds
30 g coriander leaves, chopped
25 grams mint leaves, chopped
50 g sprouts

Sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
Zest of a lime
60 mL lime juice
1 tablespoon grated ginger root
2 green chilies, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
1 garlic clove, pressed
¾ teaspoon salt

Shred the cucumber with a grater, then add them to a collander.  Sprinkle with the salt and stir well.  Let them drain for about 30 minutes.  Put the noodles in a pot of boiling water and cook as directions say.  Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking.  Let them sit aside and dry.

Add the cucumbers to the soba noodles.  Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together and add to the noodles and cucumbers.  Stir gently.  Add the sesame seeds, coriander, mint and sprouts.  Stir and taste.  Add more salt, vinegar or sugar if needed to get a sweet tart flavor.  Serve in bowls and garnish with sprouts.

No comments: