Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Vanilla Cream Sauce

Every since my trip to Finland this summer I have become obsessed with Scandinavian food.  I have been reading several Scandinavian cookbooks, including Scandinavian Feasts by Beatrice Ojakangas.  It is soon going to be part of my cookbook collection/obsession.  The first recipe I tried from this cookbook was a simple berry recipe for a vanilla cream sauce.  It is like a delicious vanilla pudding, but not so sweet so it compliments fruits very well.  If only I had discovered this earlier in the year when my raspberries were coming in, but fortunately there are still great tasting berries available in the grocery stores in addition to my strawberries which have no desire to stop blooming and growing.


Vanilla Cream Sauce

1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
2tablespoons corn starch
3 cups skim milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a saucepan, heat the beaten egg, vanilla sugar, cornstarch and milk together over low heat.  Stir constantly until it is simmering.  Simmer 2-3 minutes, until thickened.  Remove from heat and cool.  Stir in vanilla extract.  Cover and chill.  Serve with berries.  Makes about 8 servings.

No comments: