Monday, December 2, 2013

Apple Pancakes


I have a hard time going out for breakfast.  Many might ask why, but the answer is simple.  I like to stay at home and eat good food.  Breakfast is one of those meals which is very easy to make as long as you keep certain staples on hand.  My staples include buttermilk, flour, sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, and eggs.  If you have these things there are endless things you can make with them.  This one I found in the Penzey's magazine. Penzey's, for those of you who are unfamiliar with them, is a wonderful spice shop.  They used to be walking distance from my apartment in St. Paul.  I used to go there to buy even just one spice if I ran out because it just smelled so good.  Once I moved to Colorado and they appeared in my city, I was happy to go there.  Plus, they kept giving out spices when I would get their catalog, so how could I say no to be able to try even more good things?


This pancake recipe is in their most recent catalog catalog.  It is called German pancakes, but in a way I disagree with the name as I didn't see a pancake such as this when I lived in Germany.  However, this does remind me of the Scandinavian pancakes which puff.  I don't really like baked or cooked apples and this pancake is one which they don't bother me.  Extra bonus it is really easy to make.  The longest part was cutting the apple to put in the pancake.

Apple Pancakes
2 eggs
3/8 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoon butter
1 medium granny smith apple, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 400F while you prepare the pancake.  Place a 9 inch pie plate into the oven to heat.  Beat eggs, flour, milk and salt.  Remove the pie plate from the oven and place 1 tablespoon of butter into it to melt.  Spread apple slices into the bottom of the pie plate.  Pour in the batter.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.  Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes until the pancake is golden brown and puffy.  Serve immediately.

Serves two, but can be doubled if more if desired.

No comments: