Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Red Bean, Tomato and Beef Chili

There are as many types of chili out there as you can possibly think of to make.  Actually, I went to a chili cook-off this year and I was quite surprised at some of the combinations people used to make chili.  This basic red chili started from a recipe a friend gave me.  I never made red chili often as my husband loves my white chicken chili.  I was never very thrilled to make this recipe as I thought just throwing stuff in a pot wasn't all that great and the flavors weren't coming through like they should.  Since then I have made this chili and started to change things up to it is more to what I like in chilli.  The flavors have started to come out which has turned this chili from a bland, canned chili to one much more outstanding.  I think I will continue to tinker with this recipe until it has the perfect union of spice, bean and meat.


Red Bean, Tomato and Beef Chili
1 pound ground beef
2-3 cloves minced or finely chopped garlic
3 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon spicy Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 15 oz. can red kidney beans (drained)
1 15 oz. can pink kidney beans (drained)
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes with celery, onions and green pepper
1 10 oz. can tomatoes with green chiles
12 oz. tomato paste
2 cups water (more if too thick)

Brown hamburger with cumin and minced garlic.  Once browned drained the fat and add to a stock pot.  Add the 5 canned ingredients, 2 cups water and additional spices to the stock pot.  Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to low.  Let simmer for at least 30 minutes over low heat, though this is better the longer it has to simmer as the flavors will come together better.  Serve with corn bread or corn chips.

No comments: