Sunday, December 1, 2013

Gooey Cinnamon Breakfast Biscuit


When I was young my grandma would bake every Saturday.  Fortunately, since I live just up the block, I was able to "help" her bake often.  She would bake beautiful dinner rolls and these wonderful beautiful tasting cinnamon rolls.  While I love those rolls, I don't always want to start my morning with the whole process in order to several hours later eat those wonderful rolls.  So when I saw this recipe which is very quick to throw together because of the nature of the biscuit dough instead of the traditional bread dough, I thought I had to try it.  Plus, as there are only four of them it is just the right size for my husband and I to eat and not watch the rest of them go stale.


Gooey Cinnamon Biscuits
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups heaving whipping cream
2 tablespoons cinnamon
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 425 F.  Grease and line with parchment paper and 8 inch by 8 inch pan.  Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Pour 1 1/2 cups of the whipping cream into the dry mixture and mix until just combined.  Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Pat into a rectangle.  Slice into 8 squares and lay half of them into the prepared pan.  Sprinkle cinnamon over the squares (add a little sugar if desired but really more sugar is not needed).  Cover each square with a second square and press together to seal.  Top with additional cinnamon (or cinnamon and sugar mixture).  Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown.  Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. Drizzle with glaze once biscuits have been removed from the oven.  Serves about 4.

No comments: